Saturday, October 18, 2008

Confused what to buy...

दिवाली Shopping....
Just a week to go before India celebrates one of the most awaited festivals ...Diwali!!
And here I am, thinking about what new clothes I should get for the occasion.

I'm possibly one of the last-minute-buyers who hasn't had the time to shop; or just that I don't have an idea about what to get!
And perhaps all that I could find now in any leading garment store would be the OLD STOCK dying and accumulating dust through every single year.

I thought I'd get myself a nice ethnic skirt. Don't have a single one yet, so put on my experimental hat and decided to hunt for it.
Someone at work told me about this place called Bandhej;....a completely INDIAN store with lovely ethnic clothes! This caught my attention and I decided to drop in to check if I would be able to find something of my choice!

The entrance was so welcoming...gave this amazing feeling that I'd come out with a BROAD SMILE on your face!!

But as the saying goes 'Appearances are ALWAYS deceptive' ...and such was this Store!!
Had someone told me that the owner of this place charges for every single thread of a garment; I would have never had this on my agenda list for the day!

Damn! Considering the rise in inflation; and the present market scenario....I was in no position to afford such absurd prices!

Ladies, perhaps you can relate to this much better....
I saw couple of kurtis (Oh and somehow I guess this place has a totally different dimension when it comes to kurtis!) Even Size L was small for me (considering I'm reallllly tiny and petite!!)
And all of them just seemed so small.
Coming to the texture...you know what kind of handkerchiefs you find some people selling by the roadside...
Ya so when you look at that you pretty much know that it would shrink big time after the first wash...Maybe become half the size!!
These clothes looked somewhat similar. I guess all these garments were pre-washed! That pretty much suggests why everything looked soooo outrageously small!
Now let's come to my favorite observation....THE PRICE!!!
I believe these guys maintain a simple formula for their pricing:
Price = Dimension (SMALL) + Quality (POOR) + Additional charges (Transportation + Store lighting + Rent + xxxx)
So when I picked this kurti, I was quite curious to know how much it would cost! I normally set a budget in mind before buying anything. And if at all, the price of the item I've picked goes above my budget; I still consider it upto a few hundreds more...
So I picked the kurti and turned the tag to take a look at the price. Rs 995.00....
I had to recheck as I felt I read it incorrectly! Each time I read it, the number just seemed to be growing bigger!!! :-)

SO there you go, Small garments with HEAVY tags!!!

The next 20 min I spent in the store was more like a guessing game. Any garment I picked, I'd guess the price. I would have checked this for about 10 types of kurtas...and I was wrong on ALL the 10 attempts!!
Havent got the formula right I guess!! :-)

Hmmm, so that pretty much ended my visit to the store! So much for the ethnic-skirt I had in mine! I wouldn't have bought a single lace from that place! Perhaps the only way I'd get something is, if they decided to have a "Guess-the-price" contest! Actually come to think of it, don't think even that would be possible! Didn't I try that already??? :-D

So today I have decided to go shop for something less complex, easy-to-get and not charged by the thread!

Ciao!!

2 comments:

Bg said...

LOL! Bandhej is quite expensive.I have seen it somewhere. You should try googling dory -yeah it works. just search for ethnic skirts in Bangalore.Because i did this once and i discovered an amazing shop in Chennai called Seams natural. Only ethnics they have & pretty reasonable. Why dont you try Fab India?

Nithya said...

aamam di...Fab India edho range ippo..
They have put a chart near the billing counter which reads "Due to rise in inflation, we have revised our rates as well. We are still in the process of updating the price tags. Prices on our system are final."
Its too expensive....
Hey baygee...me got 2 melange kurtas for diwali :-D