Friday, January 23, 2009

Have you run out of blog topics?



Let me start by saying that the following pointers have not been entirely picked and identified by me. I have been reading couple of blogs and these points are what I gathered from most of it. Infact I even picked a couple of tips from them!

So let me get started.....
Have you ever run out of blog topics? I'm sure there would be mixed responses for this question.
From my side, I would have to say "YES"!
There are these days when I would have so much to write about but because of work or some other appointment I just wouldnt get the time! I don't understand why this happens only on days when I have so many thoughts and ideas to write down!

On the other hand, there have been some really DULL and gloomy days where I've had nothing else to do but BLOG. And somehow the timing isn't right to come up with something creative or even simple!!

Pretty ironical right?

For those of you who do experience this,...don't fret! I might just have the right tips for you (ALMOST!!) ;-)
Read along....

Rule No 1 : BE DIFFERENT
If you are the kind who has tons of readers stumbling across your blog every day, this tip might come in handy.
The key is to go "OFF-Topic". It's always different and gets your readers thinking about the various facets of your blog.
This is good to keep them guessing as to what your next post would be about!
Your readers get a break from the routine posts and also gives you a chance to showcase other interests of yours!

Rule No 2: KEEP THE SUBJECT INTERESTING
Let me describe this with an example.
When I started blogging, I was so completely addicted to it. I'd post random thoughts which wouldn't really fetch that involvement from the reader.
I felt so compelled to write something regularly. This perhaps was the cause of not coming up with an interesting subject.
When you get into this kind of mode, you can be branded as a blogger who blogs just for the sake of blogging. (I guess most of us who start off , fall under this category!)
The best thing to do in such situations, is to THINK! Think about subjects that are often spoken about in the news or papers, or some day-to-day events; or even some raging reviews.Anything that would help you keep your readers INVOLVED!

Rule No 3: WRITE PILLAR CONTENT
This is something we all need to ask ourselves. Do we really have something concrete in our blog.
The idea might have been great, but the manner in which it is presented isn't! This calls for a serious introspection into the presentation of the blog.
Your main focus is to reach out to your readers. For instance, if you are talking about meditation as a therapy, then concentrate on getting the idea across. This is what I mean by PILLAR CONTENT. Try to keep things simple and straight without complicating the subject.
It's always a good practice to strike the point right at the start. This holds the attention of the reader.

Rule No 4: MAINTAIN BLOG NOTES
Like I mentioned earlier, there are days when your mind simply overflows with ideas and thoughts. By the end of the day, you hardly remember any of it.
The best solution to this is to maintain blog notes. The moment you have an idea in mind, make a note of it. This can be recorded in a notebook or even on your computer.
So the next time you sit to blog, all you need to do is pull out your blog note and VOILA! You have tons of topics to choose from!

Rule No 5: TAKE SOME TIME OUT
R.E.S.T! Your mind needs some time to relax!
I would say this point applies to those who are extremely committed to their readers. Your belief is that "A BLOG A DAY KEEPS THAT FROWN AWAY"!
Well, at the end of it all, you'll find yourself frowning at the poor quality of your blog.
Adequate rest is essential when you want to live up to the expectations of your readers. This keeps the creative sector of your brain always ACTIVE and teeming with content!

Rule No 6: JUST DO IT
This tip is for all novice bloggers! I picked this up from a blog I read recently and it's absolutely true.
Sometimes you have an idea for your blog, but not sure what direction to take. The best cure for that is to just start writing. It doesn’t matter if you don’t know how you’re going to end the post, just get your ideas down.

You begin piecing, cutting, pasting, re-wording and before you know it, your article is nearly done! Sometimes getting started is the hardest part, and once you begin, you realize you’re half way home. ;-)

So there you have it guys! Six valuable (I hope it is!) tips for getting your blog into action! Share your thoughts and let me know if it made a difference!

6 comments:

Bg said...

:D I really seem to run out of topics these days.Nice post dory.Ill keep this in mind.:)

SwB said...

hmmm, I'd say just say what's on your mind, when it's on your mind. Dosen't matter if you end up blogging just once a month.

Cheers!

Amrita said...

:) really nice tippy post "(tippy cos had lotsa tips

Nithya said...

@BG - Thx! Hope it helps! :-)

@Saltwater Blues - It's always good to write down things which are fresh and intact in your mind! :-)

@Amrita - Hope there were some good take-aways! :-)

Sangeetha Mugunthan said...

I think this is your best post...and it gave some invaluable tips!!
Thanks for adding me on your blog list.

Nithya said...

@Sangeetha - Sure ;-) ..Hope you found it useful!